Advanced Microeconomic Analysis
- 2017/06/12: The final exam will be on June 23 from 13:30-16:30 in Boxue 504. It will cover the material after the midterm exam (Chapter 5 and 7, excluding extensive form games) and is written jointly with the other two microeconomics classes.
- 2017/05/22: I will be traveling on Jan. 5, so there will be no class that week. Instead, for the three remaining classes (5/22, 5/27, 6/12), we have changed the lecture time to 17:00 - 20:30.
- 2017/05/22: Next Monday (5/29) is a holiday, so class has been moved to this Saturday (5/27). HW #4 is due at the end of class on that day.
- The midterm will be on April 17. It will be open-book, and cover everything we went over in lecture up to that week.
- The class on April 3 has been moved to April 1.
- Instructor: Ronaldo CARPIO
- Office: 913 Boxue Bldg
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lecture Room & Time: Boxue 504, Monday 18:30-20:50
- Monday 16:00-17:00, or by appointment
This course covers the core microeconomic theory necessary for the economics PhD. We will cover: the basics of constrained optimization; consumer preferences and utility; the consumer’s utility maximization problem; duality between expenditure and utility; uncertainty and risk aversion; theory of the firm; partial equilibrium; general equilibrium; game theory; monopoly and oligopoly.
The language of instruction for this course is English.
Textbooks and Learning Resources
The primary textbook for the first half of the course is Advanced Microeconomic Theory, 3rd Ed. by Jehle & Reny.
A more advanced and mathematically rigorous textbook, for those interested, is Microeconomic Theory by Mas-Colell, Whinston, and Green.
- For Homework 1 (due 3/27 at the end of lecture), please do the following problems in the textbook: A2.9, A2.25, A2.33, 1.3, 1.5, 1.8, 1.12, 1.20, 1.21, 1.27, 1.33
- Solutions to HW 1
- HW 2 Solutions to HW 2
- HW 3 Solutions to HW 3
- Homework 4 (due May 29): in the textbook, do: 7.3, 7.6, 7.10, 7.14, 7.17, 7.18, 4.8, 4.13
- Solutions to HW 4
- 1. Review of Constrained Optimization (Appendix A2.2 & A2.3)
- 2. Consumer Theory (Chapter 1)
- 3. Duality (Chapter 2.1)
- 4. Risk and Uncertainty (Chapter 2.4)
- 5. Theory of the Firm (Chapter 3)
- 6. Partial Equilibrium (Chapter 4.1)
- 7. General Equilibrium (Chapter 5.1, 5.2, 5.4)
- 8. Game Theory (Chapter 7)
- 9. Imperfect Competition (Chapter 4.2)